Grants from the Ministry of Culture and Communication
- For a first grant request for an award on grounds of social criteria, students must be under the age of 28 on the 1st of September of the year of study or training for which the grant is requested.
- From the age of 28 onwards, grantholding students must not interrupt their studies if they wish to continue receiving a grant.
- No age limit is applied to a student with a disability which is recognized by the commission of rights and autonomy of disabled persons (CDAPH)
CONDITIONS CONCERNING NATIONALITY
The grant awards on social criteria of the Ministry of Culture and Communication are reserved :
- For students of French nationality;
- For foreign students possessing the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union or of another State which is part of the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation, so long as they fulfill one of the following conditions : to have previously held a permanent job in France, either full-time or part-time. This activity must be verifiably true and have been waged or non-waged ; or to show proof that one of their parents or legal guardian has gained income in France ; or show proof of a certain degree of integration into French society, which can be assessed notably through the length of stay in France, of schooling undertaken in France or through family links with France; or (without necessarily fulfilling one of the above conditions) if a student can proved evidence of 5 years of uninterrupted residence in France ;
- For foreign students benefitting from refugee status, recognized by OFPRA (French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons).
- For foreign students who already hold a temporary or permanent residence permit and who have been domiciled in France for at least two years and who are part of a taxable household (through father, mother or legal guardian), a household resident in France for the previous two years at least. These two years minimum date back from the 1st October of the university year for which the grant is requested.
- For Andorran students who have been educated in French. Foreign students whose parents reside in Andorra can qualify for a grant award based on social criteria under the same conditions as those applying to foreign students residing in France.
CONDITIONS CONCERNING THE STUDIES TO BE UNDERTAKEN
To benefit from a higher education grant based on social criteria, awarded by the Ministry in charge of culture, the student must be enrolled in an initial training program, in an institution of higher education authorized to award degrees or diplomas under the authority of the Ministry of Culture and Communication, or in a school or a training center authorized to receive grant-holders. Such higher-education students must also be full-time.
CONDITIONS CONCERNING RESOURCES
The resources taken into account are in the majority of cases the income (revenu fiscal) which figures in the tax notification (avis d’imposition) of the family, to which should be added, where relevant, income gained abroad. The resources taken into account in the French system are those of 2016 for the university year 2017-2018, with certain exceptions including the expenses incurred by the student and his or her family.
CATEGORIES WHICH ARE EXCLUDED FROM THE GRANT ALLOCATION
(N.B. This list concerns social grants awarded by the Ministry of Culture)
- Civil service interns, those occupying public positions of the State, local or regional government or public hospital officers, either in active service, on leave of absence with or without pay;
- Persons enrolled with ‘Pole Emploi’ (state employment agency) for seeking employment, or those benefitting from social integration or job-retraining schemes;
- Persons who are remunerated under apprenticeship or professionalization schemes or individual training schemes.
- Students following foreign language improvement courses in a foreign country
- Persons receiving a retirement pension.